6 Benefits of Raw Honey
source, Lucid Tea Co.
We at LucidiTea absolutely love raw honey. We use it with almost all of our teas. Raw honey is the one that pure, unpasteurized, unheated and unprocessed. This means that all the enzymes, natural vitamins, nutritional elements and phytonutrients are preserved. As compared to commercially produced honey, humans can enjoy the raw honey benefits in different aspects including healing, health and even in cultural and religious traditions. For many years raw honey has been used for medical and folk remedy. In fact, even in hospitals it is used as treatment for wounds. To know more about the raw honey benefits, you should read on below.
- Antioxidant – One of the raw honey benefits is being an antioxidant because of the phenolic compounds that it contains. This property protects the body against free radicals that can cause cell damage. This means that taking raw honey can prevent and slow down the aging process and developing of chronic diseases such as heart disease and cancer.
- Antifungal and antibacterial – Raw honey also has antifungal and antibacterial properties, thus it is effective in killing unwanted fungus and bacteria. It’s effective in fighting staphylococcus aureus. But, the effectiveness also depends according to the type of raw honey that will be used.
- Heal wounds – Healing and treating of wounds is one of the raw honey benefits because it can effectively kill germ. Aside from the natural hydrogen peroxide, the raw honey also contains other antibacterial properties.
- Packed with phytonutrients – Raw honey contains phytonutrients that offer both anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits that are essential in maintaining good health. The phytonutrients’ disappear through heavy processing of honey.
- Improves digestive issues – Pure honey is effective in treating Helicobacter pylori that is the culprit of peptic ulcers. This means that it can also improve digestive issues at the same time help in the healing process and alleviating the pain.
- Soothing – If you have cold most likely you will also suffer sore throat. Honey is an effective remedy for sore throat and all you have to do is to add it into hot lemonade. It can also suppress cough. Research revealed that honey works as good as dextromethorphan for treating cough.
Other raw honey benefits include decreasing the possibilities of pollen allergy, boosting immune system, regulate the blood sugar and cholesterol and many others. If you experience nausea or stomach upset, you can take raw honey to alleviate the condition because it is not fermented in the stomach unlike the processed honey. It doesn’t aggravate acid reflux and indigestion as well as helpful in treating Candida problems.
Though raw honey isn’t recommended for babies 1 year old below, but as long as the digestive system is mature then it can be given to toddlers. On the other hand, raw honey contains bee pollen and bee propolis. Anyone who has bee pollen allergy should consult first a health care provider before taking honey. The bee pollen can also cause problem to pregnant woman as well as for nursing mother. Despite of the raw honey benefits cited above, it’s significant to consult your doctor if you’re not sure about taking raw honey.